Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Anchorage, second day

We woke up around 8:30. This time we decided to be smart, and reserved a place for breakfast. We walked to the "best in town" place ("Snow City Cafe") and after 7 minutes wait got a booth (we talked to a wood carver to pass the time, he made spoons and some little statues, which were pretty good). Again, typical American breakfast, large portions but the food itself was a bit disappointing.

Nir waiting in line
Yael waiting in line
Salmon sculpture next to the resturant
Lior in anti-photograph mood

We walk back to the visitor center to capture the shuttle to the Alaska Heritage Museum, which was defined as a "must see". After all kinds of delays and twists and turns throughout downtown we got the museum. It is a nice garden with native "villages" around a pond and museum structure in between. Inside the museum we heard about various games native boys play to develop dexterity and skills. We saw an animation with a story about the creation according to legends, and then went outside. The villages were a bit disappointing. Although there were guilds in every building, there was little hand on filling. After the tour we felt we had enough.

Lake within Native Center

Whale jaw-bones
A flower that I really liked. (Later we found them everywhere.)

We took the shuttle back, and stopped at the downtown mall to search for hiking shoes for Roy, without luck. The weather was cloudy and coldish, and we were not enthusiastic about it, so we set our way back to the hotel.

We go to a pizzeria and start planning the steps tomorrow after we take the RV. Prepared a shopping list, and when we got to the hotel, we started repacking our bags...

Our conclusion so far is that we don't like Anchorage. The downtown area looks more or less like downtown Palo Alto, or any other provincial american town without a real history. Block houses with non-desrcript architecture. The weather is ok, but we can't wait to get out of the city.


No comments: